Malfoof basically means rolled. Stuffed (and rolled) cabbage is a staple dish in the Middle East but always made with a rice and meat stuffing. Today I attempted to make it my way and with no rice of course. I did not replace my rice with riced cauliflower though I’m sure you could do so if you wanted.
- 1 cabbage
- 2 cups of lean mince beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 1 chopped green apple.
- Paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Peal off the cabbage leaves gently and immerse into boiling water for about 3 mins (until soft-ish)
- Fry onion and garlic until golden brown, set half aside on a plate. Add the tin tomatoes and spices to the frying pan.
- Place spices, mince meat, half the cooked onions and chopped apple into food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times.
- Place half the tomato sauce in the bottom of the crock pot (slow cooker).
- Cut the bottom part of the stem from the cabbage leaves (A small triangle out of the bottom. See pic)
- Spoon a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the bottom of the leaf and roll.
- Layer tightly in the slow cooker. Top with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cook on high for about 4 or 5 hours.